Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A peek into a 100 years of life in Church Hill


This article from VCU's Virginia Black History Archives is one I recently ran across while researching Beckstoffers.  It was part of a Church Hill Oral History project carried out in the early 1980s and there is a small portion about the Mill. 

It is remarkable for several reasons.  First, the interviewee /narrator is 102 years old and his mind appears to be sharp.  Second, the interview itself is almost 30 years old and a number of the places mentioned are still around.  Finally, about half way down they mention the Mill and the gentlemen talks about buying lumber for his house from Henry.  I have provided the Beckstoffer's portion below but the whole things is worth reading.  The I stands for Interviewer and the N means Narrator.  His name was Mr. Robert Willis Roane.
I - What about Beckstoffer, did you have any dealings with them?
N - Yeah. He's still running the business now.

I - Yeah. Did you ever have any dealing with them?
N- Oh yeah. I bought lumber from Beckstoffer to build my house.
I- What kind of man, or what kind of family were they?

N- They were friendly.

I- Very friendly.

N- Friendly people. They run a business and all the people around there bought lumber from Beckstoffer and I don't know if he run, I know the old man ain't living, but I guess ...

I - I think his son, one of his sons, or some of the sons are still living.
N - Yeah, and running the business now. The little house set right on 28th Street used to be the office at one time.
I - You say they still run the business.

N - Yeah, I think Beckstoffer still running that. I bought lumber from them many times.
I - So, as far as you're concerned, they were a pretty nice family.

N - Yeah. I don't have no trouble all they look for was their money. Whatver they sold you they expected you to pay for and I bought lumber from them many times. I first bought a couple of lots on Richmond Street and built up my own house. A five room house then. The City take that property and I moved over on 31st Street. And I got a home on 31st Street now.




No comments:

Post a Comment